Collection REST + JSON

Hi,

I’m playing around with retrieving large sets of data with REST.

What I’m getting back is a JSON formatted data set (list of items). I’m wondering how to push it into a Collection, do I even need to do that to get one specific item from the list based on ID let’s say. Would I do it in the REST node? Do I do it outside?

Let’s say what I’m getting back is
[ id, name, age ] and I get 20 items with the same formatting.

Thanks!

I would do it in the REST node itself, in the response function. Like this:

response:function(outputs,response) {
        if(response.status !== 200) return;

//assuming the response look like { items: [] }
	var items = response.content.items;
	var collection = Noodl.Collection.get('My Collection');

for(var i=0; i<items.length; i++) {
            collection.add(Noodl.Model.create(items[i]));
        }
}

You can also send the collection as an input to the REST node instead of hardcoding it like I did

Thanks for the code! It helped quite a bit.
Since I didn’t know what I’m getting back as data at all, this was a good starting point.

It just occurred to me that I can do a console.log for the ‘response.content’ and look how the data is being formatted. As my JSON was [ {item1, item2, etc.} ] I ended up using this:

var items = response.content; // array of content objects
console.log(items);

var collection = Noodl.Collection.get('My Collection');

for(var i=0; i<items.length; i++) {
    collection.add(Noodl.Model.create(items[i]));
    // preview a possible model structure
    if (i === 1) {
        console.log(items[i]);
    }
}

Again, thanks a ton! Loving the simplicity of working with data.

So here’s one more unexpected behaviour I’m getting.

My prototype is working 100% fine in the Noodl editor, but as soon as I open it in a browser window, console shows "REST: Failed to request – … followed by the link where I’m getting the data from. And no data gets displayed of course.

I’ve only tried this with 2 different online data sources, but error message is the same.

Thanks!

Solution for others in for Safari (OSX):

Enable the developer menu, and select “Disable Cross-Origin Restrictions” from the develop menu.
Perhaps a small detail to add to the documentation for noobs like me :wink:

Doh…

Another option is to prepend http://cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/ to all your URLs, it’ll work as a proxy and remove the CORS restriction. Note that all your data will flow through that server though, and I wouldn’t rely on it for anything important. But for quick prototypes and explorations it works well, and it’ll enable the prototype to run in all browsers, cordova, etc.

Hi, I’ve just started with noodle, and it looks like a marvelous tool.

I’ve the same problem as @Regi.
I’m getting a json array with items, but I don’t know how to use them.
I can get specific items from my list, by directly setting my output parameter to response.content[2].
But I don’t know how to go from “json Array” to “Collection” to “Scroll view items”.

I need more clues than @Regi needed :slight_smile:

All help is appreciated,

Fedor